Monday, January 10, 2011

In an attempt to not go crazy on this insanely busy work day (it's taken me almost 2 hours to write this post), I present to you...

Books I've read so far for Cannonball Read!


1) Anita Blake Series, Book 9, Obsidian Butterfly - Laurell K. Hamilton

Mini-review because these books are reeeeally long, there's waaaay too much backstory, and there's no way I can sum them up. This book takes my favorite character, Edward, and sends Anita on a trip with him. It's awesome. Which is good because...


2) Anita Blake Series, Book 10, Narcissus in Chains - Laurell K. Hamilton

It's apparently the last good book of the series. My sister warned me several times that right around this point, the books become extremely sexual. Check it...Anita was a virgin til Book 6, has sex with her other boyfriend in Book 8, then becomes a giant ho in Book 10. By Book 11, which I'm currently rolling my eyes through, she's a great big whorebag succubus thing. It's getting insanely boring, and I'm not sure if I'll finish the series.

3) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone - JK Rowling
Everytime I told someone I was reading Harry Potter, it was always the same conversation..."Which one?" "The first one." "Oh, you're re-reading it?" "No, I'm reading it for the first time. I know, bout time, huh?" *Person gives me crazy eyes*
I never had any interest in reading the Harry Potter series. The more people tried to tell me that oh my god, I needed to read it, the less interest I had. I didn't see either of the first movies in the theater, either...holding out until I was being forced to go see the third movie. I saw the first two, was meh about both, then went to the theater and loved the third movie. Since then I've been a pretty consistent fan of the movies (loved the last one), and with a bevy of road trips in my recent (now) past, I decided to finally read them. Well, I got through one. And I loved it.
This book was charming as hell. The first 50 pages broke my heart with lines about how Harry wasn't scared of spiders because there were plenty in the cupboard he slept in and the continuous berating and abuse by the hands of his horrid leftover family. Then comes a letter...and another...and hundreds more...that is the onset for a heartwarming endearing story. I may more or less know what's going to happen through the next 6 books, but I can't wait to read it.

No comments: